In addition to Jordanelle, RaceTri's Black Ridge (or "Escape From Black Ridge") tri in Herriman is a great race in the Salt Lake valley.
Escape From Black Ridge has been around for 6 years or so, historically as a sprint only race. However, last year they added an Olympic distance option as well.
Here are a few notes about the race from people who have done the event at least 2x - whether you're a newbie or a veteran, we encourage you to go for it!
- There are 2 transition areas, so make sure you allow enough time to set up.
- Black Ridge reservoir is small, a great first open water triathlon for beginners but fun for all levels
- The water is usually warm and (if doing the sprint) it's short enough that you don’t necessarily need a wetsuit, although you'll always be faster with one.
- T1 used to be on the beach and it was a big disadvantage to be at one end vs. the other (carrying bike across the sand). Now that it's all paved and built out, it's less important where you position yourself.
- Big descent with some twists coming right away. RaceTri says people occasionally end up in front yards. Could be worse… be smart!