After months of gathering feedback and talking to many of you in the tri community, it's time to finally announce the Utah Triathlon Championship Series for 2018!
- The "Utah Triathlon Championship Series" will consist of 10 local races from April - September
- Capping off the series will be a State Championship race, party, & triathlon gathering for all abilities
- The State Champs venue will rotate annually, with BRINEMAN hosting in year 1 (September 2018)
- The Brineman OLYMPIC distance has been selected by the host RD as the official State Champs race, and everyone is encouraged and welcome to compete at the "main event"
- That said there will potentially be other options for people wanting to participate outside of the State Champs race
- The races that make up the Series will be decided by # of participants the previous year (with potential for an occasional "wild card" entry due to extenuating circumstances)
2) April: SALEM SPRING
3) May: SAND HOLLOW
4) June: EAST CANYON
5) June: DAYBREAK
6) July: ECHO
7) July (now Jun 23): TOUGHMAN UTAH HALF
8) Aug: JORDANELLE
9) Sep: KOKOPELLI
10) Sep: STATE CHAMPS @ BRINEMAN
- Similar to European soccer (eg England's Premier League), the Championship Series will include a system of "promotion" and "relegation"
- This means a max of 2 races NOT in the Championship Series one year can be "promoted" into it the following year if they out-draw races currently in the series
- In that example, the races currently in the series would get "relegated" AKA bumped out for the following year
- This way, the tri community as a whole decides what races make up the Championship Series any given year… it's up to RD's to promote their races and athletes to support the races they choose
- Utah Tri Buzz rankings, age group awards, Most Improved and other swag for the season will be based on the Championship Series (average of top 3 races like previous years)
- We also want to continue driving a local culture of volunteering at races & supporting each other; it's expected that each participant will volunteer at at least one race in the series (more if you can), and those who go above and beyond will be recognized for their efforts!
- You don't have to race the State Champs race to qualify for season awards. However, the rankings system will include a points bonus for those who do race the State Champs
- There will also be awards from the host race company for the single day State Championship race
In summary, should be fun!
Below are links to all the races in the 2018 Championship Series: