Saturday, September 14, 2019

Kona Profiles #4: Brice "Heat & Hills" Williams


The Ironman World Championships ("Kona") will be here before we know it, taking place Oct. 12th. As you know, it's incredibly competitive to qualify and a major accomplishment to do so. As we've done the last 3 years now, we'll be catching up with our local Cinderellas... getting to know them better as a tri community and cheering them on as they get ready for the ball!

Name:     Brice Williams

Age Group:    M4044

Qualified:     Ironman Texas

Qualifying AG Place & Time:   2nd   9:09:59

Splits:     Swim 56  Bike 4:51  Run 3:15



Check out Brice's Kona Profile from last year for more background info:
Kona Profiles 2018: Brice Williams & the Ironman Itch!



How’s your fitness and perhaps more importantly “fire” compared to last year as you look ahead to Kona?

Fitness and fire are good. Compared to last year, it seems like I'm slower to recover. I wonder if I'm getting old. I really thought I was immortal. Or maybe like Thor at least, not quite totally immortal, but pretty close. Guess not...



For those who didn’t know, you finished 5th in the world and were the first American in your age group at Kona last year… did that exceed your expectations and do you have specific goals for this year?

No specific goals, just have fun out there. My performance last year did exceed my expectations, in fact, I had booked a plane ticket to Maui Sunday morning because there was no way in my mind I'd be in contention for a podium spot. So, I missed the awards ceremony. Hah.


Kona 2018 M4044 - click on to see more clearly

The awards guys were probably thinking I was so deep in the hurt tank that I couldnt get out of bed. They were nice and shipped me the coveted wooden bowl later. This year I hope to be in podium contention again, but it's always a bit of an unknown who comes and in what shape, and what kind of day it ends up being. Just control what you can control.



In his recent Kona Profile interview, Jake the Pepper Snake Barnes said “I absolutely plan to be the fastest Utah finisher at Kona.” Are you still Utah’s fastest Ironman or has the mantle been passed??

Anyone with a nickname "Pepper Snake" will likely be tough to beat! I'm just happy I had the mantle for a minute, if it passes on to a younger guy, then great. That being said, I think I still have a shot and will be racing my heart out. I really like the Hawaii race. Heat and hills are what I eat for breakfast.

And "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Kona definitely packs a punch. Honestly, I hope all us Utahns do awesome, doesn't matter who beats who. Even to have Americans do well over all the international guys would be awesome.



What, if anything, do you plan to do differently this go around at Kona vs. last time?

I got a new coach after Texas this year, so I've been doing a ton of stuff differently. We will see if it works. Maybe in a follow up interview I can give more details.

Like last year, you qualified at Ironman Texas. Did it require an all-out performance or were you able to relax a bit knowing that quite a few slots would be awarded (being the North American Champs)?

Texas was sooooooo relaxed, I even took a little nap in T2. Hah! No, I was pushing things for sure. Of course, at some point you know you're good and so you back off a bit to make sure you don't blow up, but for the most part it's go go go.



Texas M4044 - Hoping to catch up with #8 Sam Hobi (pic below)
soon as well! Click the results to see more clearly



What other racing have you done this year?

By the time this goes out the Brineman Half will likely have happened [Brice went 4:16, finishing 2nd to local phenom Nick Dorsett and 5 min ahead of fellow Kona qualifier Gentry Yost]. I like Brineman mostly because it's down the road from my house and the timing is perfect for Kona. I would like to see more of the Kona guys/gals race Brineman - it helps to have faster people to make me push harder.

I raced Oceanside 70.3 (DQ), but my best half performance ever, Echo olympic (got lost on the run), Boulder 70.3 (I can't run on dirt), Labor Day Sprint in Bountiful (you don't even want to know how I screwed that one up), Brineman Half as I mentioned, and then Kona.



Will you be looking to qualify for Kona ("KQ") at Ironman St. George next year in place of Texas?

Yes, already signed up.

Will you be joining that thoroughbred Nate Cook, Josh Pay and others to rep Davis County in our friendly IMSG team competition?

Yes. In fact, I'm offering a relocation package if you're fast and want to move to Davis county.



EDITOR'S NOTE: For our fun St. George team competition, anyone and everyone is welcome to participate. It will work like a cross country meet, so the elite elite athletes will "score" for their teams, whereas us mortals will participate for fun and increased camaraderie/inspiration leading up to race day. 

The teams are expected to break down something like this:

  • "The North" (Idaho and/or separate Northern UT team?)
  • Davis County
  • SLC West (of I-15)
  • SLC East
  • Wasatch Back
  • Utah County
  • "The South" (St. George/So. UT)
  • Possibly others as well

Lots of interest so far, message us if you want to join the fun and we'll connect you with others on the teams!


You’re a new Utah Tri Buzz sponsor, for which we’re very appreciative as that helps with the SWAG we give back to the tri community. What services do you provide in your profession that could benefit Utah Tri Buzz readers (or anyone else for that matter)? Any promotions for UTB readers?

Yes! I'm an ophthalmologist, and would love to give any triathlete the gift of sight. We do LASIK, eye exams, glasses, contacts and many other surgical and medical things for the eye.

We take care of diabetes eye care, glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts, and I specialize in facial plastic surgery and botox. Our website is claysonwilliamseyecenter.com.

We're offering $400 off for LASIK to anyone that comes in and mentions Utah Tri Buzz.




POPULAR LINKS

LATEST AGE GROUP RANKINGS --> HERE
CHAMPIONSHIP BELT HOLDERS --> HERE
MOST IMPROVED TRIATHLETES --> HERE
TOP LOCAL RACER AWARDS --> HERE

REIGNING STATE CHAMPIONS --> HERE


UTAH TRIATHLON CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES 2019 DETAILS -->  HERE !




Below are links to all the races in the 2019 Championship Series:

Below are links to all Challenger Races:




Thinking about Lasik or have other eye health needs?
Dr. Brice Williams is offering some incredible
deals for fellow Utah Tri Buzz readers




Local triathlete Steve Monson has a stellar reputation
as one of Utah's finest financial advisors


www.edwardjones.com



We started a Patreon account (link below) with the hope of raising a few bucks towards awards & swag for athletes of all abilities in our tri community. We've given out a lot over the past 3 years, but would like to continue to expand our offerings & the volume we can do.

If you enjoy Utah Tri Buzz and would like to pitch in, any amount would be greatly appreciated... (there may be something in it for you as well!)


We're also always grateful for talented people who contribute in terms of time... let us know if you'd like to be part of the Utah Tri Buzz team.


HISTORICAL U.T.B.
"BELT HOLDERS"


Interviews



























No comments:

Post a Comment