Friday, October 4, 2019

Kona Profiles #7: Marty Smith - Tri Hard, Finish Strong!


The Ironman World Championships ("Kona") will be here before we know it, taking place Oct. 12th. As you know, it's incredibly competitive to qualify and a major accomplishment to do so. As we've done the last 3 years now, we'll be catching up with our local Cinderellas... getting to know them better as a tri community and cheering them on as they get ready for the ball!

Name:     Marty Smith

Age Group:    F6064

Qualified:     Ironman Maryland - Sep 2018

Qualifying AG Place & Time:   1st    12:15:56

Splits:     Swim 1:14   Bike  6:07   Run  4:43



Special thanks to Kaytie Scott for running point on this interview!


What’s your athletic background, and how did you get into triathlon?


I swam on a swim team in the late 60’s and early 70’s when I lived in Dayton, Ohio at Wright Patterson AFB. I went to the Olympic Trials in 1972 for the 100-meter breaststroke. The meet was in Cincinnati, so it was easy to attend. I was so nervous that I swam too slow and came in last place. But, on that day the bug to compete was born. Later that summer we moved to Utah which ended my swimming career.

My parents bought a home in the Ogden Valley, where I still live to this day. There was not much for a new, non-Mormon teenager in the 70’s to do but turn to the cool thing — drugs and alcohol. For about 15 years, this was my way of life, and I could not think that life would get any better. I met my husband at a keg party.

We married in 1981, we bought my parents home and had three children. During this time I was miserable, overweight by 50 pounds, smoking, drinking, and drugging. Then one day I put my husband into rehab, and our lives changed.



On June 21, 1991, I brought my husband home from rehab, and I started down the road to recovery kicking, screaming, and crying the whole way. One day as we were driving up Ogden Canyon arguing a light bulb turned on and I realized that I needed to change my thinking and that only I was responsible for my happiness. Slowly, over many years I transformed. I started eating better, exercising and living the AA life. My life was getting better.

My sister told me about doing a triathlon, said it was the hardest thing she has ever done and she thought she was going to die. A Triathlon I thought, what a great idea and there was one in my backyard called the Ogden Valley Tri (I still miss that race). I signed up and began training. My first triathlon was in 2003, and the tri bug was born.

When/how did you receive your Kona slot, and how did you feel about it?

This will be my second time going to Kona. The first time was six years ago when I turned 55. I got second place at IMCDA but, the first place lady couldn’t go. Yeah for me! At Kona everyone is so serious, I got sucked into the hype. As we were riding down the hill from Hawi, a fellow behind me jinxed us by saying the winds were pretty good. Ten minutes later there was a 10-15mph headwind. As I rolled through an aide station feeling defeated, I heard Katy Perry sing, “Cause I am a champion and you’re going to hear me roar.”

I decided at that time to have fun and enjoy the race. I finished the bike and started the run, about mile 22 on the run a girl comes up in a wheelchair, her name is Minda Dentler. As I was running beside her I learned she was the first-ever female finisher in the hand crank division. Say What!!!! I was telling everyone around us and encouraging her to get the last hills.

She flew off when we got to the top, and as she finished, I could hear the crowd roar for her. I wept and felt so happy for her and me to have had this experience. I came in last in my AG that night, but I was touched by the whole thing, and I wanted to come back.



I decided it was time to try again and I selected IM Maryland 2018 as my goal to qualify for Kona. I had some cousins that lived in Annapolis which is about an hour away from Cambridge where the race is. I realized a few days before the race that I want to stay in Cambridge, so I borrowed a sleeping bag and bivy sack and camped out on the lawn of the YMCA.

On race morning I was ready! I had a good swim and got on the bike heading into the countryside in first place. About mile 30 into the bike a lady in my AG past me. We played leapfrog for a couple of miles when I decided to let her go. Maybe I could catch her on the run. Around mile 90 another lady in my AG passes me. I decided it was game on! I turned up the speed, and with a tailwind I was able to catch both of them and jump back into first place. Oh Yeah!!


IM Maryland 2018 F6064 - click on the pic to see more clearly

The run had a lot of turn arounds, and I was able to keep an eye out for those ladies. At mile 23 thought I saw one of them. I was not letting her pass me, I put the hammer down and decided it was time to fly, and I did. I finished in first place with a time of 12:14. WOW, I did it. I punched my ticket to Kona.

What are you looking forward to in Kona?

I like to volunteer at the big races I compete in to give back. In Kona I’ll be a greeter at the airport, stuffing bags and helping with the packet pick up with registration. I’m trying to give a little to the sport I love. The community of body, mind, and soul is amazing. I soak in everybody, everything and connect with every spirit.

There is so much going on race week — the PATH 5/10K, the Hoala practice swim, the coffee barge, the Under Pants Run, the expo, packet pickup, bike drop off, Kids Dip and Dash, the banquets, the Parade of Nations and of course the big race.


Sometimes I think, how did I get here? Why am I so lucky? It’s wonderful that I am healthy and I live in a free country to have this opportunity.

What I’m most looking forward to is having my husband put on my medal at the finish line. He signed up to volunteer at the finish line, and I can’t wait for that moment. He did not go the first time I went to Kona because he was hunting which is a priority for him.

Ironman racing is a selfish, individual endeavor, but it takes a team effort. I’m grateful for my family that has sacrificed their time, wants and needs to support me. I’m grateful for my work-out friends that have supported my efforts and helped labor through the hours of training. I’m thankful for my job that provides the means to race.

The trainers and therapists that helped repair my body. My neighbors, the community, and strangers have pitched in with their support to help me get to where I am today. I am so grateful that I am no longer tied down to drugs and alcohol. My life is happy, joyous and free! As I cross the finish line I will be thanking all the people in my life and myself for this enormous accomplishment and the Great Spirit in us all.

Tri hard, finish Strong!



POPULAR LINKS

LATEST AGE GROUP RANKINGS --> HERE
CHAMPIONSHIP BELT HOLDERS --> HERE
MOST IMPROVED TRIATHLETES --> HERE
TOP LOCAL RACER AWARDS --> HERE
REIGNING STATE CHAMPIONS --> HERE


UTAH TRIATHLON CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES 2019 DETAILS -->  HERE !




Below are links to all the races in the 2019 Championship Series:

Below are links to all Challenger Races:




Thinking about Lasik or have other eye health needs?
Dr. Brice Williams is offering some incredible
deals for fellow Utah Tri Buzz readers




Local triathlete Steve Monson has a stellar reputation
as one of Utah's finest financial advisors


www.edwardjones.com



We started a Patreon account (link below) with the hope of raising a few bucks towards awards & swag for athletes of all abilities in our tri community. We've given out a lot over the past 3 years, but would like to continue to expand our offerings & the volume we can do.

If you enjoy Utah Tri Buzz and would like to pitch in, any amount would be greatly appreciated... (there may be something in it for you as well!)


We're also always grateful for talented people who contribute in terms of time... let us know if you'd like to be part of the Utah Tri Buzz team.


HISTORICAL U.T.B.
"BELT HOLDERS"


Interviews


























No comments:

Post a Comment